Have you ever wondered what it was like to go to school in another country? Is it an all-inclusive school? What if we say that in one country children actually go to college? The school education system differs from one country to another. It can depend on many things. If you ever contemplated moving to another country or you are just interested in cultural differences, this article is likely to pick up your interest. 

 

1. French school education system

French school system

The school system in France is typically divided into three levels like most European systems. The first stage is primary education (école primaire – for 5 years) then secondary education (in French it is called college – for 4 years), lastly the third one is lyceum (lycee – for 3 years). In college, classes are in reverse order:  students enter sixth grade, the following year the fifth grade and lastly the third grade. At the end of the lyceum, each student is supposed to pass the Bachelor’s exam. The results of this exam are essential in order to apply to university.  

 

2. Germany

Germany

In Germany, children start primary school at the age of 6, which lasts for 4 years.  Except for  Berlin and Brandenburg primary schools which lasts for 6 years. After completing primary school they then move on to secondary school which offers many options. The choice of secondary school will depend on the student’s grade and therefore the choice of future teachers. The most common types are: 

Hauptschule (includes 5-6 years of study and requires further training in a vocational school),

Realschule (includes 6 years of study; the results of studying in real school allows them to enter the senior class in high school, and then University), 

Gymnasium (includes 8-9 years of study; specializes in three main areas: humanities, social and technical). 

Gesamtschule (includes various features of the gymnasium and real schools.)

 

3. School education system in the UK

School system in the UK

In the UK there are two sectors of education:  public (free education) and private (fee-paying schools). There is also a large difference between the education system in different parts of Britain. An all-boys or girls school is not unusual in Britain. Separate schools are still part of modern-day education. This especially concerns traditional boarding schools, most of which are “separate”. However, schools are more often mixed. 

 

4. Russia

Russia

In Russia the school system is divided into two levels primary and secondary schools, usually combined in one school. Primary school lasts 4 years while secondary school is 5 years. There is also an upper secondary school which takes 2 additional years which are non-mandatory. Graduating from an upper secondary school gives you access to university.

 

5. School education system in the USA

School system in the USA

The US education system is divided into three levels (kindergarten + 5 years), middle school (3 years) and high school (4 years).  In high school, students can choose their classes more freely than in elementary and middle school. Around 85% of American children study in public schools. The remaining 15 % goes to private schools, many of which are religious. There are also boarding schools that gather students from across the country.

 

6. Italy 

Italy

In Italy, at the age of 6 children start primary school (Scuola Primaria), which lasts 4 years. At the age of 11, they begin their secondary education (Scuola Media), which lasts 3 years. Students then move to secondary school (Scuola Secondaria di Secondo Grado) for 5 years. There are two types of Scuola Secondaria di Secondo Grado in Italy: the Liceo, which is more academic in nature, and an Istituto, which is essentially a vocational school.

 

As you can see, it is very different! 

Some children can even spend up to 12 years in class!

 

What about your education? How many years did you spend at the school desk? 

 

Comments are closed.

Post Navigation